What to Do After You’ve Registered a Domain Name: After you get a domain name name, it may be challenging to figure out what to do next. There are many options, and you may not know where to start.
There’s no need to worry, however. This article will cover eight things you can do after registering a domain name with pre seed vs seed. We’ll discuss setting up a custom email address, installing domain security, building a website or an online store, adding plugins to it, and even selling the domain name.
We will also feature some tips and examples to illustrate each step.
1. Use Your Domain Name as a Custom Email Address
51% of marketers consider email marketing to be their most effective channel. For this, a custom email address is necessary. It will increase your online presence and give credibility to your business, something that a generic email address like email@example.com won’t do.
Setting up a custom email requires you to have email hosting. In that case, finding the right service will be your first move. After that, proceed to the custom email creation.
The process may differ depending on what hosting service you use, but the steps are generally similar. Here is how to create one:
- Login to your hosting account and access its control panel.
- Navigate to Email -> Email Accounts -> Add Email Account.
- Fill in the username and password fields, then click Create.
2. Install SSL for Your Domain Name
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) secures communication and data transfer. It is essential for websites that store sensitive information, such as the personal details of customers.
HTTPS is an extension of HTTP with an added encryption layer. Most web hosting providers offer easy-to-install SSL certificates, which allow you to:
- Make your domain name more credible.
- Enhance your website’s reliability.
- Improve the speed of your website.
- Rank higher on Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs).
3. Create a Website Attached to Your Domain
Building a website is the starting point for an online business. It is also a great way to promote a company and its activities.
Here are the three main methods to build a website:
- Use a website builder. This is the most beginner-friendly way to create your site. Options include Zyro, Weebly, Wix, Squarespace, and more.
- Use a Content Management Service (CMS). Building a website this way requires more technical knowledge than doing it on a website builder.
- Code your site from scratch or hire a web designer if you have the budget.
4. Create Social Media Accounts
Create social media accounts so you can engage your audience. It will also increase your brand awareness and drive additional traffic to your site.
We recommend registering handles that match your domain name. Here are some tips:
- Check the availability of usernames on various platforms. Use these checkers to make sure your desired handle is not taken:
- Create short and easy-to-spell and pronounce names, such as @businessofficial.
5. Add the Google Analytics Plugin
56,7% of websites use Google Analytics to track website traffic. With it, you can analyze:
- The number of visitors who visit your website during specific hours.
- Where your traffic comes from.
- How visitors interact with the website.
6. Get Started on SEO
Getting started on SEO (search engine optimization) can significantly increase your website traffic. A correctly implemented SEO will help your website stand out from others and rank higher on SERPs.
The following are good SEO practices to start with:
- Find low-competition and high-volume keywords for your content.
- Increase your brand exposure on various social media platforms.
- Write guest posts to earn backlinks from other websites.
- Update your content regularly.
7. Set Up an Online Store Attached to Your Domain
Setting up an online store helps promote your products or services. With it, you can manage inventory, collect payments, and track orders in one place.
If you have a WordPress site, an eCommerce plugin like WooCommerce will let you build an online store in a few simple steps. There are also a few alternatives you can try out. If you have the budget, hire a professional to set everything up.
Consider the following tips before getting started with your online store:
- Define your brand.
- Identify your target audience or market.
- Research your competitors.
- Choose what to sell.
8. Sell Your Domain Name
Selling domain names is a quick way to earn money. There are a few things to consider before doing that, however.
For instance, domains with the suffix .com sell the fastest. If you have a short domain name that ends with .com, such as doit.com or sellit.com, it has the potential to command a high price and sell quickly.
Here are some other tips on domain name selling:
- Understand the pricing of each domain suffix.
- Sell the domain name on auction sites, like eBay, Afternic, or Sedo.
- Engage the buyers’ attention by professionally presenting facts.
Building a successful online business needs effort and patience. We’ve gone over a few steps for what to do once you’ve registered a domain name.
Here is a recap of what you can do:
- Create a custom email address, a website, an online store, and social media accounts.
- Install an SSL certificate for the domain name and add the Google Analytics plugin.
- Get started with SEO.
- Sell the domain name.
With our tips, you are now ready to kickstart your online business. Take your time and good luck!